Over time as you use your Mac you will notice that a degraded in Mac performance is quite noticeable. To regain back to its normal performance it is quite right for Mac disk clean and you can do this by doing the simple steps below.
You can free some space in your Mac hard drive without the need to use other hardware or upgrade the Mac hard drive. But before you take all these necessary steps you need to determine first the available space on the startup disk. Just simply go to the Finder tool then choose the startup disk icon, then press the command I in the keyboard, then it will open the Get Info window pane. It will show you the disk capacity, available space and the used space. In order to clean up your Mac hard disk just simple perform the following:
- Empty the Trash: You can do this going to the Finder then choose the Empty Trash option.
- Archive old files: Just simply move, copy, backup or delete files that you no longer need in other external devices such as CD or portable storage devices. This is the right also to perform backup and recovery action in your Mac system. The Mac itself comes with built-in utility for compressing archive of files and folders.
- Clean up System logs and temporary files: This will reclaim some of hard disk space if you regularly run the maintenance routines in cleaning the System logs and other temporary files in your Mac.
- Remove unwanted localization files: There are a dozen of localization files of languages that are installed in Mac system. You can remove all these unnecessary languages by using a freeware utility called Monolingual.
- Remove the Previous Systems folder: Once you perform an Archive and Install in the Mac OS. a folder called Previous Systems folder is created that contain the Mac OS X system folder. If the Mac is already functioning properly after the Archive and Install, you can now remove this Previous System folder.
- Uninstall unwanted applications: Under the Applications folder go over to the list of applications that you no longer need and uninstall them.
- Delete old iTunes Library file backups: Once you are satisfied with the current iTunes update it is advisable to trash the old library files by navigating to Home>Music>Previous iTunes Library then empty the trash in your Mac.
- Move iTunes Music folder to another storage disk or partition: You can have two iTunes library, one for current files that you use more often and other library stored to other external hard drive. This can save you a lot of extra space in the hard drive.
There are other ways that you can do for Mac disk cleanup and the simple steps above are one of the easiest things that you can do without investing for additional hardware and software specifications. Doing this will not only reclaim hard disk space but will remove cluttered files and other unnecessary applications in your Mac hard drive thus boosting the speed and performance of the Mac eventually.